Monday, July 28, 2008

Escape the Heat, Version 4.0 - 2008

In preparation to depart New Orleans for Maine, we discovered that our 3+ year old RV's refrigerator was not working. It showed an "N" fault code which we looked up and found a website that described the repair, but at the time it would not show the photo of the electrical innards of the fridge.
Next morning, brought the trailer to our only local RV service location: Bent's Rendezvous RV on Airline Highway in Kenner, LA.

Showed up bright and early at 7:55 a.m. hoping to get someone to help us with a quick fix. The gentleman who was there asked if I had an appointment. I was thinking – ‘Sorry, I didn’t plan on my refrigerator not working the day of our departure.’ I said “No,” and asked if someone could take a look at it and I was informed that the service manager would have to make that decision and he would be arriving at any moment. At 8:20, the service manager had not arrived. As the other service technicians rolled in, they informed me that they would not have time because I did not have an appointment. No one seemed to be in any hurry to get to work but they certainly didn’t have time for me.

Next we decided to call a service station on our route. Contacted Paw Paw’s Camper City in Picayune, MS. I described the problem and the solution. The guy said “Yea, we got a guy who does that. Come on by.” They fixed our fridge promptly, showed us how to take care of the problem in the future – all within an hour of our arrival, for a reasonable fee. The technician was informative and entertaining.

P.S. Don't leave your refrigerator on while it is covered for storage...

No comments: